Monday, October 15, 2012

God's Family

by River Campbell
I barely have time to fit all my activities in a day. Running from one event to the next, my day full to the brim, when do I actually see God? In Zambia, I’m away from my busy, exhausting life. One of the joys of being here is that living in another culture opens my eyes to the previously unappreciated. I am actually able to slow down, see God, and appreciate seeing His presence in the people around me.
I found myself sitting in a chair on the porch looking at someone I have never met and know nothing about. She is a Zambian and a student at George Benson Christian College. After introducing ourselves and spending time in small talk, we found common ground. She was a tutor for a girl in last year’s HIZ group. Then, her next statement caught me off guard. She said, “Oh, I have prayed for you and hoped that God would send me a dear friend that I could grow closer to and have a spiritual relationship with.” Wow. That was not what I was expecting! In that moment, I saw God because He was the common ground.
I walked into a house belonging to someone I have never met. There were plenty of people I didn’t know and I was quite intimidated to meet them. I was not prepared for what was about to happen. A song was led and voices rang out in praise, both Zambian and American, young and old. That moment of discomfort quickly vanished, and I couldn’t have felt happier and closer to these beautiful people. I soon met them after a night of singing, making me feel even closer to God. I felt at ease with people I had only met a few hours before. They made me feel welcomed and poured out their hearts to God with me. I saw God in that time of fellowship.
After worship one Sunday morning, I ducked my head and walked out of the dim hut. The line had already started forming long before it was my turn to greet every single person that had worshipped at church that morning. I looked into the faces of each and every person; it brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. Although we could not get past a simple “hello” and “how are you,” I still felt joy, like I had known them for years. When I got to the end of the line, I turned around and saw some ladies singing and dancing. I joined in, and they taught us what they were singing. The joy and closeness I felt with these sisters just swept me away. Once again, I could see God in the faces and hearts of my brothers and sisters rejoicing in God.
After all of these moments, I realized that the same God I worship is the same God they worship. We are thousands of miles from home, yet I feel at home because we are bound together in the Lord. This is my family. Seeing Christ takes on a whole new meaning to me. It matters because God’s family extends past my family and my church family back home. It covers continents and oceans that I have never seen or crossed. Through all of the fellowship and experiences I have encountered in my short time here in Zambia, I have seen God in my Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment